Please note that this article contains affiliate links.
I believe that in order to grow, we need to continue to learn and expand our mindset. We’re so lucky to have so many words of wisdom and guidance at our fingertips - we need to embrace the opportunity to keep flourishing!
For me, reading is such an effective way to wind down. Not only that, but it allows me to keep evolving my knowledge and perspective on life. However, I also know that, for some, reading doesn’t happen so easily - maybe you don’t know what to read, get bored or distracted easily, or believe you simply don’t have the time.
To help, I've put together some of my top tips on how to fit more reading into your schedule.
Make it a part of your daily routine
- Often we let other tasks and priorities take over our time, so if you’re serious about boosting your reading time, you need to integrate reading into your everyday routine. Whether you dedicate thirty minutes before bed to read, or wake up a little earlier each day and read while you drink your coffee, once you start making reading a regular part of your daily routine, it will soon become a habit.
Listen to audiobooks
- Audiobooks are great when you need to multitask - you can listen while you’re walking, driving, or even exercising. We all learn and train information in different ways, and audiobooks are a great way to ramp up your book intake without having to stop whatever you are doing.
Join a book club
- Book clubs are a great way to hold yourself accountable to your reading goals. Not only do they encourage you to finish a book by a certain date, but it can also make you more engaged with what you’re actually reading. I’d love to start a book club - if you’re interested in joining let me know over on the Flourish & Fulfilled Facebook group.
Replace other habits with book time
- Maybe you want to spend less time endlessly scrolling social media, or cut back on TV time. Try grabbing your book instead!
Find good recommendations
- There’s a lot more of an urge to read when you love the book you’re reading. A great way to find interesting and highly-rated books is to get good book recommendations from friends, librarians, book clubs, or online. To get you started, I’ve listed some of my current favourite books below. I can’t wait for you to check them out and let me know what you think!
The Sunday Girl by Pip Drysdale
- A gripping fiction read! The Girl on the Train meets Before I Go to Sleep with a dash of Bridget Jones in this chilling tale of love gone horribly wrong.
The Paris Affair by Pip Drysdale
This is an edge-of-your-seat thriller set amidst the contemporary art scene in Paris. I couldn’t put this book down when I got my hands on it - I think it took me a total of 3 hours to read it all from start to finish!
Lifespan by David Sinclair
This eye-opening book dives into the process of ageing and how everything we think we know about ageing is wrong. It also includes some surprising, scientifically-proven methods that may help us to live for longer!
Untamed by Glennon Doyle
A liberating read that explores the joy and peace we discover when we stop striving to meet others' expectations and start trusting the voice deep within us.
Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey
What a guy! This unconventional memoir is so real, raw and filled with raucous stories, outlaw wisdom, and lessons learned the hard way about living with greater satisfaction.
Life Is Tough But So Are You by Briony Benjamin
When life takes an unexpected turn, read this book. Briony shares wise guidance on how to navigate difficult times in a funny, warm and practical guide to help you gain perspective on what's truly important in life.
The Happiest Man On Earth by Eddy Jaku
This beautiful book will make you smile, cry and laugh. Published as Eddie turns 100, this is a powerful, heartbreaking and ultimately hopeful memoir of how happiness can be found even in the darkest of times.
What’s your favourite book right now? Let me know in the comments below or reach out to me in the private Flourish & Fulfilled Facebook community.