Are you giving yourself the self-love you deserve?
If you’ve been feeling like you’ve been putting yourself on the back burner lately, it’s time for some YOU time. Remember, the most important relationship in your life is the one you have with yourself. So if you are long overdue a catch-up with your mind, body and soul, what better way to show yourself some love than with a solo date?
Whether you’re single, loved up or “it’s complicated” spend some quality time with yourself and become your own best friend with my solo date ideas below!
- Be a tourist in your own town
No mater how long you’ve lived where you have, I bet there are still so many things you’re yet to experience. So, ride around in a tour bus, or take a walking tour of a section of your city that you’ve never been to before.
- Take a cooking class
Just think about it: you serve yourself a glass of your favorite wine, and then you spend the evening learning how to make lobster ravioli. The coup de grace is getting to eat the meal you’ve prepared.
- A ‘get to know yourself better’ date
Just as one of the main purposes of going on a date with someone else is to get to know them better, you can use a solo date to get to know yourself better. Find a nice spot in a park or get cosy in a cafe and take out your journal and answer questions to get to know yourself better.
- A cosy night in
- Book a facial or massage
Treat your skin to some TLC and enjoy being pampered.
- Teach yourself a new craft
There are a bunch of free tutorials on Youtube for every craft under the sun: knitting, pottery, drawing, printmaking… The possibilities are endless!
- Go to a concert
You don’t need a buddy to go to a concert! Enjoy the live music and release those endorphins by dancing your heart out.
- Read in a coffee shop
Grab a latte, pick a seat by the window, and dig into that book you’ve been meaning to read for ages.
- Visit a museum
There’s nothing like a solo stroll through an art museum to make you feel like the main character of your story.
- Hit the local farmer’s market
Buy some fresh veggies and treat yourself to a bouquet of local flowers.
Things to remember on your solo date:
- Be fully present. If you’re out on a date with someone else, you don’t space out or stare at your phone all throughout date. You pay attention to the person you’re with. Show yourself the same courtesy: when you’re on a solo date give yourself and what you’re doing your full attention.
- Don’t be self-conscious—if you choose to go out on your solo date and feel that other people are looking down at you because you’re alone, just ignore them. Whoever judges you for being alone is probably just not comfortable being by themselves, and that’s too bad for them.
- If you’re not enjoying yourself, go do something else. When you’re on a date with someone else and things aren’t going well, it can be tricky to put an end to the date. However, if you’re on a solo date and you find that you’re not having a good time, you can just go home without having to come up with a semi-plausible excuse for ending the date.
Any activity that reenergizes you and makes you feel great is self care. It's all about finding those things and working them into your daily routine.
What solo date are you taking yourself on? Let me know in the comments!